I’ve had the incredible opportunity to hear renowned author and speaker, Simon Sinek, teach on topics like leadership, servanthood, technology and even millennials. Simon challenges organizations with a simple but pivotal thought: “People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe.” So, as we prepare ourselves for yet another YC event, the 18th to be exact, WHY would we choose the theme “HOME”? In Luke 15 we read a story told by Jesus, familiar to many, known as the Prodigal Son. Long story short: a spoiled young adult squanders a lucrative inheritance on everything and anything deplorable but when he comes to his senses he returns HOME to the astounding loving arms of his father. This homecoming is the backdrop to our YC theme and here’s my top 10 why’s (sorry, it’s an addiction):
- HOME is a place of location. Our location is this place we call ‘The Rock’ and, to be specific, we are “coming from away” to relocate for three days in the great town of Gander. God has dome some big things over these past years in our small province. YCNL is a testament to our great God and He’s not done! (P.S. Watch for some great “HOME-spun” content this year!)
- HOME is a place of connection. We live in a time of more connection and yet more disconnection that ever. HOME is where we connect with one another and with God.
- HOME is a place of association. This is a place where everyone belongs because there is a place for everyone at God’s table. The church should be the most inclusive place on the planet. Every young person is welcome HOME!
- HOME is a place of celebration. It is a place of welcome no matter where you’ve been or what you’ve done. Get ready for the greatest house party Gander has ever seen!
- HOME is a place of protection. It is a place of shelter, peace, and hope. This anxiety-filled generation needs to know there is a safe and caring place for each one of them inside the arms of their heavenly Father.
- HOME a place of relation. We build new and old relationships at HOME. This generation longs for the deep and authentic relationships that only a real HOME can provide.
- HOME is a place of collaboration. It is a place where we all pitch in to help and support one another. Did I mention we need a small army of volunteers to make this a HOME? (Come sign up today to join our YCNL team!)
- HOME is a place of salvation. This is where forgiveness is not the exception. It’s the rule. We believe HOME will see many come to faith in Jesus.
- HOME is a place of transformation. This is where we come in to go out. What happens inside of three short days can prepare us for what God wants with the other 362 he gives us. We are not called to be HOME-bodies but HOME-builders all over our world.
- HOME is a place of continuation. God has prepared a heavenly HOME for us. This is no short-term theme. This one lasts for eternity. Let’s get this kitchen party started!
As Simon Sinek says, “what we do this fall proves what we believe”. We believe God wants to bring a generation HOME into His loving arms. What if we put the welcome mat out to every young person we know? Maybe our HOME would never be the same.